Ski Fit North Alberta (SFNA) is a unique community outreach program focused on bringing the lifelong sport of cross-country skiing to Alberta’s Indigenous children and youth. In partnership with Cross Country Canada & Cross Country Alberta, and supported by title sponsor ATCO, SFNA is currently in its 7th year of operations in Alberta.
SFNA’s mandate is to engage, empower and educate Alberta’s First Nation and Metis children and youth with sport and activity. In partnership with schools and community leaders, SFNA provides opportunities for inspiration and activity that create meaningful, lasting change. Using games, wellness-based activities, nutritional education, motivational speakers and multi-community festival events, SFNA exposes children and youth to skiing and sport in a fun, supportive and encouraging environment.
SPECIFIC PROGRAM OBJECTIVES
- Promote healthy lifestyles and build community relationships through the delivery of ski events and fitness programming in schools and communities.
- To motivate students to stay in school by enhancing the school program through the delivery of ski events and programs in schools and communities.
- Teach basic techniques and ensure students, teachers and other participants have a fun and positive experience on skis.
- Provide resources and support for development of permanent community infrastructure (ski clubs and ski trail development).
- Provide development programs and resources for community coaches, officials and leaders.
- Help individuals interested in competing in the sport to be competitive and provide information and resources to do so.
- Provide grant funding information and support to schools and communities in interest of accessing funds to purchase ski equipment or development trails.
Two-time Olympic medallist and Program Director, Beckie Scott, travels throughout Alberta together with Ski Fit North Alberta Facilitator, Andrew Urton, to inspire Canada’s Indigenous youth to take their first strides in the sport of cross-country skiing.
Last season, SFNA made over 50 community visits, while working with 18 separate communities across the North. From those community visits there were over 4,100 participants in the program.
Check out our website - www.skifitnorthalberta.com
Like us on Facebook - Ski Fit North Alberta
Follow us on Twitter - @skifitnorthab
CBC's "Only in Canada" profiles Beckie Scott and her work with the Ski Fit North program.